Family, this article is packed with healthy berries, tasty recipes for the summer. If you try one out, be sure to drop us a line and tell us how it tasted. We want to feature the most popular ones in upcoming articles.
Blueberries are in season during the summer, so you’ll easily find them at farmers’ markets. They’re delicious and also famous for their health benefits. Try them all on their own or incorporate into pancakes, muffins and smoothies. Here are some ideas to get you started:
1. Pancakes: Blueberries and pancakes almost always go hand-in-hand. Try these blueberry cornmeal pancakes, a smarter choice compared to the traditional buttermilk-style pancakes. Or enjoy your daily serving of oatmeal in pancake form with these oatmeal banana pecan blueberry pancakes.
2. Smoothies: Smoothies are a great and healthy way to jumpstart your morning. Experiment with this breakfast roughie that supplies about half of your daily need for dietary fiber or sneak in some vegetables with this mixed berry and beet smoothie.
3. Muffins: If you’ve got a sweet tooth, no fear. Easy to prep and quick to bake, these vegan blueberry banana muffins will be ready in no time.
4. Overnight Oatmeal: Want to wake up to ready-to-eat oatmeal? Try this no-cook, overnight oatmeal recipe and remember to add in your blueberries too.
5. Granola and Parfaits: For those looking for a treat, try this granola recipe and add fresh blueberries. And you can then use the granola recipe as an ingredient in your berry, yogurt and granola parfait.
6. Ice Cream: As a healthier alternative to ice cream, serve up this red, white and blueberry magic “ice cream” that is just as creamy as the real thing. Blueberries and other fresh fruit add fun colors to your creation.
7. Crisps and Cobblers: It’s hard to resist desserts and the availability of summer fruits means it is easier to find healthier options. These recipes for fruit cobbler, suncrest peach and blackberry cobbler and “freestone” stonefruit and berry crisp get much of their sweetness from seasonal fruits and are sure to delight.
From – Foodforhealth.kasierpermanente.org