2013 Resource Directory
The CBHC regularly produces, publishes and distributes a Health Resource Directory focused on the Black Community. The community expressed an interest in this type of resource and CBHC felt it was a priority to honor the community’s wishes.
The directory is multipurpose:
- To educate the community
- To provide the community with culturally appropriate health-related information
- To enhance awareness about appropriate treatment and prevention.
We believe good health and access to quality care are among the most valuable assets we have. The directory contains featured articles, advertisements, and a directory of resources focused on health and well-being. The 2013 Resource Directory, is our most current edition and is an important tool to help eliminate health disparities and increase awareness.
High Blood Pressure & High Cholesterol Toolkit
African American men are at high risk for heart disease and stroke. This handy toolkit was created by the Ohio Department of Health in collaboration with Ohio physicians for use by the community. It is a tool that focuses in on high blood pressure and cholesterol and was designed with African American men, as well as their loved ones, in mind. The toolkit includes brief testimonials from Black men, information about the impact of heart disease, tip sheets, trackers, and risk assessments.
The tip sheets provide important and useful information:
- Questions to ask the doctor
- Medication question to discuss with the doctor
- Facts about high blood pressure and cholesterol in African Americans
- How to improve blood pressure and cholesterol numbers
- Additional resources.
Manage Your Heart Health
Thank you for your interest in improving your health. CBHC is partnering with the community to improve the health of Blacks in Colorado. Our quest is to be the healthiest Black folks in America, but we need YOU! Take less than 5 minutes to sign up on Heart 360 and join our group. Tracking your health measures and getting tips on how to stay healthy will go a long way in helping to achieve your goals.
Heart360® is an easy-to-use tool which helps you understand and track the factors that affect your heart health – including blood pressure, physical activity, cholesterol, glucose, weight and medications.
In order for CBHC to see your numbers to help support you in your health, please go to My Connection Center and enter the CBHC volunteer code number:
Your information will only be viewed by authorized CBHC staff.
National Minority Health Month
- National Minority Health Month Take Action Find out if you are eligible to enroll in the Health Insurance Marketplace during the Special Enrollment Period.
- Visit ThinkCulturalHealth.hhs.gov and learn about the National Standards for Culturally and Linguistically Appropriate Services in Health and Health Care (National CLAS Standards).
- Learn how your health coverage can work for you. Visit My Coverage, My Care to access tools and resources.
- Connect with OMH on Facebook Exit Disclaimer, Twitter in English Exit Disclaimer and in Spanish Exit Disclaimer, and Instagram Exit Disclaimer. Join the conversation on reducing health disparities.
- Receive email updates on OMH and health disparity issues by signing up for our newsletters.
- Conduct a presentation on health disparities and health equity at your next membership, board or staff meeting.
- Attend a health disparities webinar or presentation in your area to learn about the issues impacting your community.
- Find information on your health condition on the My Health Portal. Use this information to prepare for your next medical appointment.
To find out more about National Minority Health Month, contact OMHMedia@hhs.gov.